> Discuss Your Legal Issue > Ask a Lawyer > Labor and Employment > When a company terminates you, can they refuse to give you a termination letter?

When a company terminates you, can they refuse to give you a termination letter?

1 Answers. Asked on Sep 11th, 2012 on Labor and Employment - Pennsylvania
More details to this question:
I am in a new position in the HR department, our policy is to refuse former employees termination letter requests. this makes me uncomfortable, and I don't understand why we can't give them something so they can get food stamps, assistance, etc. Is it even legal to refuse them? (we have a high turnover)
Answers Showing 1 out of 1
Answered on Sep 12th, 2012 at 8:56 AM

There is no requirement under either Pennsylvania or Federal law that an employer must provide termination letters to former employees.  Provision of termination letters, or even of the reason for termination itself, to former employees is a matter of voluntary discretion by employers. 

Please don't hesitate to contact me if you have any further questions or concerns. 

Michael J. Davey, Esquire
Eckell, Sparks, Levy, Auerbach, Monte,
Sloane, Matthews & Auslander, P.C.
344 West Front Street
Media, PA 19063
(610) 565-3700 x 271
On Skype @: mjdavey957
Super Lawyers

Report Abuse
Labor and Employment
Labor and employment attorneys can help both employers and workers prevent, address and resolve a variety of issues related to the employer-employee relationship. Small business owners and managers should consult with employment lawyers when crafting employment policies (including those related to hiring, affirmative action, compensation, medical leave and sexual harassment); negotiating employment contracts, non-compete agreements and severance agreements; and resolving employment-related personnel disputes. Workers should talk to a labor and employment law firm before signing any job-related contracts and for help addressing issues related to discrimination, harassment, Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) accommodations and Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) requests.
Have an Labor and Employment Question?
It’s Free & Easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Top Contributing Lawyers
Mark Tischhauser, Esq.

Attorney - Florida

330 Answers, 19 Legal Topics

Patrick Johnson

Attorney - Tennessee

224 Answers, 42 Legal Topics

Michael D. Siegel

Attorney - New York

181 Answers, 26 Legal Topics

Anthony John Van Zwaren, Esq.

Attorney - New Jersey

100 Answers, 18 Legal Topics

Bruce Robins

Attorney - New York

98 Answers, 9 Legal Topics

Mr. Max L. Rosenberg

Attorney - Connecticut

85 Answers, 34 Legal Topics

Stephen A. Black

Attorney - Florida

64 Answers, 11 Legal Topics

Have a legal question?
Get answers from local attorneys.
It's free and easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Do It Yourself Legal Forms

Popular Forums