> Discuss Your Legal Issue > Ask a Lawyer > Labor and Employment > What legal recourse do I have if I have been threatened and constantly verbally abused by a co-worker?

What legal recourse do I have if I have been threatened and constantly verbally abused by a co-worker?

1 Answers. Asked on Sep 12th, 2013 on Labor and Employment - Georgia
More details to this question:
My co-worker has been confrontational from the beginning of my employment. He began to become verbally abusive, so I made a verbal complaint to our Nat'l Director. (We do not have an HR dept.) Nothing was done, so I decided not to pursue it. The co-worker became increasingly aggressive, and I reported each one verbally or in writing. Still nothing done by management. About 1 month ago, he made a verbal threat and which point I made a "formal" complaint that was addressed to the owner of our company. I was told that they would handle it. Again, nothing has happened. Today I find out that the co-worker is now receiving the sales leads that are supposed to be coming to me (causing a potential loss of income) and still he has not had any action taken against him.
Answers Showing 1 out of 1
Answered on Sep 12th, 2013 at 10:58 PM

The answer to your question depends upon the basis for the co-worker's ill-treatment of you.  If it is based on your race, it could be racial harassment. If it is based on gender, it could be gender discriminaiton. You need to provide more information for a definitive answer.


Michael A. Caldwell


Report Abuse
Labor and Employment
Labor and employment attorneys can help both employers and workers prevent, address and resolve a variety of issues related to the employer-employee relationship. Small business owners and managers should consult with employment lawyers when crafting employment policies (including those related to hiring, affirmative action, compensation, medical leave and sexual harassment); negotiating employment contracts, non-compete agreements and severance agreements; and resolving employment-related personnel disputes. Workers should talk to a labor and employment law firm before signing any job-related contracts and for help addressing issues related to discrimination, harassment, Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) accommodations and Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) requests.
Have an Labor and Employment Question?
It’s Free & Easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Top Contributing Lawyers
Mark Tischhauser, Esq.

Attorney - Florida

320 Answers, 19 Legal Topics

Patrick Johnson

Attorney - Tennessee

219 Answers, 44 Legal Topics

Michael D. Siegel

Attorney - New York

181 Answers, 26 Legal Topics

Anthony John Van Zwaren, Esq.

Attorney - New Jersey

107 Answers, 19 Legal Topics

Mr. Max L. Rosenberg

Attorney - Connecticut

69 Answers, 33 Legal Topics

Lori Nevias

Attorney - New York

65 Answers, 26 Legal Topics

Bruce Robins

Attorney - New York

64 Answers, 9 Legal Topics

Have a legal question?
Get answers from local attorneys.
It's free and easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Do It Yourself Legal Forms

Popular Forums