> Discuss Your Legal Issue > Ask a Lawyer > Labor and Employment > can I sue my union for discrimination and retaliation?

can I sue my union for discrimination and retaliation?

1 Answers. Asked on Aug 08th, 2012 on Labor and Employment - Illinois
More details to this question:
i was a unionshop chairman and was removed from position for working in the office. i have been working in the office for 4 or 5 months. the union president sent a letter to the stewards stating that he was going to come to the company with banners to show the company that the members were ready to strike if conditions didn''t change. I told the president of the union that, thats not the climate in the shop and that no one is going to strike. when he came out with the banners and had little to no support from the members, i was told i was being removed from my position. he showed my in the by-laws that no one can be a steward and work in the office. but when a caucasian steward worked in the office and it was brought to his attention he took no action.
Answers Showing 1 out of 1
Answered on Aug 09th, 2012 at 5:31 PM

You can possibly take action if you feel this is based on your race.  You could also possibly allege it is an unfair labor practice and retaliation.  You should speak to an attorney to determine the best way to proceed.

Report Abuse
Labor and Employment
Labor and employment attorneys can help both employers and workers prevent, address and resolve a variety of issues related to the employer-employee relationship. Small business owners and managers should consult with employment lawyers when crafting employment policies (including those related to hiring, affirmative action, compensation, medical leave and sexual harassment); negotiating employment contracts, non-compete agreements and severance agreements; and resolving employment-related personnel disputes. Workers should talk to a labor and employment law firm before signing any job-related contracts and for help addressing issues related to discrimination, harassment, Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) accommodations and Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) requests.
Have an Labor and Employment Question?
It’s Free & Easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Top Contributing Lawyers
Mark Tischhauser, Esq.

Attorney - Florida

330 Answers, 19 Legal Topics

Patrick Johnson

Attorney - Tennessee

224 Answers, 42 Legal Topics

Michael D. Siegel

Attorney - New York

181 Answers, 26 Legal Topics

Anthony John Van Zwaren, Esq.

Attorney - New Jersey

100 Answers, 18 Legal Topics

Bruce Robins

Attorney - New York

98 Answers, 9 Legal Topics

Mr. Max L. Rosenberg

Attorney - Connecticut

85 Answers, 34 Legal Topics

Stephen A. Black

Attorney - Florida

64 Answers, 11 Legal Topics

Have a legal question?
Get answers from local attorneys.
It's free and easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Do It Yourself Legal Forms

Popular Forums