> Discuss Your Legal Issue > Ask a Lawyer > Labor and Employment > Is it legal for a manager to change clock in/out times of an employee?

Is it legal for a manager to change clock in/out times of an employee?

1 Answers. Asked on Feb 20th, 2017 on Labor and Employment - Pennsylvania
More details to this question:
My boss has changed my time card to show that I only worked 40 hours in a week, but I had worked about 41.22 hours.
Answers Showing 1 out of 1
Answered on Feb 21st, 2017 at 6:21 AM

There is a concept called rounding up and rounding down in wage and hour rules that allows an employer to "change" your actual times clock times -- or at least pay you for time that doesn't exactly match up with your clock times but it has to work according to set rules and the employer has no "say so" on whether you are rounded up or down for a particular day.  If your employer is regualry changing your clock times to show that you work only 40 hours in a week, that's probably a violation of the Fair labor Standards Act. PA wage payment and collection law and you should be entitled to back pay plus statutory interest and penalties.  You should raise this matter with your employer or retain an attorney to get involved on your behalf.

I recommend that you seek out a local attorney for a more in depth discussion of the matter. I do not recommend that you take any action steps without such a consult. Act quickly because by waiting, you may lose certain rights and remedies available to you.

Report Abuse
Labor and Employment
Labor and employment attorneys can help both employers and workers prevent, address and resolve a variety of issues related to the employer-employee relationship. Small business owners and managers should consult with employment lawyers when crafting employment policies (including those related to hiring, affirmative action, compensation, medical leave and sexual harassment); negotiating employment contracts, non-compete agreements and severance agreements; and resolving employment-related personnel disputes. Workers should talk to a labor and employment law firm before signing any job-related contracts and for help addressing issues related to discrimination, harassment, Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) accommodations and Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) requests.
Have an Labor and Employment Question?
It’s Free & Easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Top Contributing Lawyers
Mark Tischhauser, Esq.

Attorney - Florida

308 Answers, 19 Legal Topics

Patrick Johnson

Attorney - Tennessee

238 Answers, 43 Legal Topics

Michael D. Siegel

Attorney - New York

147 Answers, 26 Legal Topics

Michael E. Fiffik

Attorney - Pennsylvania

122 Answers, 21 Legal Topics

Bruce Robins

Attorney - New York

100 Answers, 8 Legal Topics

R. Sam Price

Attorney - California

95 Answers, 13 Legal Topics

Lori Nevias

Attorney - New York

90 Answers, 31 Legal Topics

Labor and Employment Local Law Firms  
In United States change location
Please select state Update
Do It Yourself Legal Forms

Popular Forums