> Discuss Your Legal Issue > Ask a Lawyer > Labor and Employment > I was diagnosed with CRVO in my right eye Dec 15,2015. In a June 2015 my Dr put me on restrictions, no night driving. During the summer was no big dea

I was diagnosed with CRVO in my right eye Dec 15,2015. In a June 2015 my Dr put me on restrictions, no night driving. During the summer was no big dea

1 Answers. Asked on Dec 12th, 2016 on Labor and Employment - Indiana
More details to this question:
In the summer hrs it was no big deal but now it gets dark around 5oclock. My employer at first offered me a 9 to 5 shift. I agreed but when the actual hours were presented to me, they were 1pm to 9pm or 3pm to 9 pm. Is there anything the ADA can do for me?
Answers Showing 1 out of 1
Answered on Dec 13th, 2016 at 7:07 AM

Dear Anonymous,


The law requires an employer to provide reasonable accommodation to an employee or job applicant with a disability, unless doing so would cause significant difficulty or expense for the employer.

A reasonable accommodation is any change in the work environment (or in the way things are usually done) to help a person with a disability apply for a job, perform the duties of a job, or enjoy the benefits and privileges of employment.

Reasonable accommodation might include, for example, making the workplace accessible for wheelchair users or providing a reader or interpreter for someone who is blind or hearing impaired.  In your case, a reasonable accommodation might include an adjustment in your schedule so that you are not driving in the dark.

Undue hardship means that the accommodation would be too difficult or too expensive to provide, in light of the employer's size, financial resources, and the needs of the business. An employer may not refuse to provide an accommodation just because it involves some cost. An employer does not have to provide the exact accommodation the employee or job applicant wants. If more than one accommodation works, the employer may choose which one to provide.

If you have questions, or would like to speak to an experienced employment attorney, please call for a free consultation.


Chip Clark


Report Abuse
Labor and Employment
Labor and employment attorneys can help both employers and workers prevent, address and resolve a variety of issues related to the employer-employee relationship. Small business owners and managers should consult with employment lawyers when crafting employment policies (including those related to hiring, affirmative action, compensation, medical leave and sexual harassment); negotiating employment contracts, non-compete agreements and severance agreements; and resolving employment-related personnel disputes. Workers should talk to a labor and employment law firm before signing any job-related contracts and for help addressing issues related to discrimination, harassment, Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) accommodations and Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) requests.
Have an Labor and Employment Question?
It’s Free & Easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Top Contributing Lawyers
Mark Tischhauser, Esq.

Attorney - Florida

329 Answers, 20 Legal Topics

Patrick Johnson

Attorney - Tennessee

242 Answers, 45 Legal Topics

Michael D. Siegel

Attorney - New York

142 Answers, 23 Legal Topics

Michael E. Fiffik

Attorney - Pennsylvania

109 Answers, 19 Legal Topics

Lori Nevias

Attorney - New York

85 Answers, 37 Legal Topics

Edward J. Dimon

Attorney - New Jersey

82 Answers, 19 Legal Topics

Bruce Robins

Attorney - New York

79 Answers, 8 Legal Topics

Labor and Employment Local Law Firms  
In United States change location
Please select state Update
Do It Yourself Legal Forms

Popular Forums