> Discuss Your Legal Issue > Ask a Lawyer > Labor and Employment > How long can employer withhold pay?

How long can employer withhold pay?

1 Answers. Asked on Jul 21st, 2017 on Labor and Employment - Florida
More details to this question:
I work as a freelance location Scout and Manager on TV commercials. My work sometimes begins weeks before the actual filming occurs. Most of the time, my clients use a payroll company, (to have an employer of record,) to pay me. They typically hold my time cards and they don't submit them until the end of the shoot. If I invoice the client, I understand that I have to wait for payment at their convenience. If I'm filling out a timecard, I'm, suspecting that they should be submitting them weekly to the payroll company. I'm assuming this, because numerous times my work dates have been falsified on time cards that the clients complete and then have me sign. If I'm signing a time card, is it legal to make me sign falsified work dates and have to wait weeks before the time cards are even submitted to the payroll company?
Answers Showing 1 out of 1
Answered on Jul 23rd, 2017 at 6:40 AM

You should be paid timely for work, and withholding pay when due could at least entitle you to minimum wages plus an equal sum in liquidated damages under state or federal law.  Altering ANY pay card is unlawful.  The fact that you signed it may be used by your employer, but such arguments are rejected by courts as an employee really has little options.  You should however documents where you see the cards have been altered and report it to the company, and if possible object to signing it.  No employer shall retaliate against an employee under the FLSA and FMWA for refusing to sign an fraudulent time card.  Consult a lawyer who deals with wage and hours claims asap and review this, most will give you a free consult.  

Nothing contained herein is meant to be legal advice to your particular question or to be a substitute for seeking a consultation with a lawyer and going over the facts and issues. I recommend that you Consult a lawyer in a consultation before taking any action based upon answers on this site.

Report Abuse
Labor and Employment
Labor and employment attorneys can help both employers and workers prevent, address and resolve a variety of issues related to the employer-employee relationship. Small business owners and managers should consult with employment lawyers when crafting employment policies (including those related to hiring, affirmative action, compensation, medical leave and sexual harassment); negotiating employment contracts, non-compete agreements and severance agreements; and resolving employment-related personnel disputes. Workers should talk to a labor and employment law firm before signing any job-related contracts and for help addressing issues related to discrimination, harassment, Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) accommodations and Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) requests.
Have an Labor and Employment Question?
It’s Free & Easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Top Contributing Lawyers
Mark Tischhauser, Esq.

Attorney - Florida

357 Answers, 20 Legal Topics

Patrick Johnson

Attorney - Tennessee

241 Answers, 47 Legal Topics

Michael D. Siegel

Attorney - New York

179 Answers, 25 Legal Topics

Anthony John Van Zwaren, Esq.

Attorney - New Jersey

114 Answers, 18 Legal Topics

Michael E. Fiffik

Attorney - Pennsylvania

81 Answers, 17 Legal Topics

Lori Nevias

Attorney - New York

79 Answers, 31 Legal Topics

Bruce Robins

Attorney - New York

70 Answers, 8 Legal Topics

Have a legal question?
Get answers from local attorneys.
It's free and easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Do It Yourself Legal Forms

Popular Forums