> Discuss Your Legal Issue > Ask a Lawyer > Labor and Employment > Can my Employer force his employees to participate in prayer, Bible devotions and church services?

Can my Employer force his employees to participate in prayer, Bible devotions and church services?

1 Answers. Asked on Aug 18th, 2012 on Labor and Employment - Florida
More details to this question:
My current employer begins each day by mandatory Bible devotions and prayer. Every employee is required to attend, participate and share in reading aloud from devotional materials. We are also required to attend church activities on our free time with the threat of being fired if we don''t. We also have to work 8 hour days with no breaks and must eat our lunch while we work. Is this legal and if not what can I do? Thank you for your response.
Answers Showing 1 out of 1
Answered on Aug 21st, 2012 at 5:32 PM

Under Title VI of the 1964 Civil Rights Act it is unlawful for a covered employer (i.e., one who employs 15 or more employees) to discriminate against an employee on the basis of religion. Unless the employer is a religious institution, the employer's action in forcing you to engage in religious activities would be unlawful. You can refuse to do so. If the employer fires you you can file discrimination charges with the EEOC.


Michael Caldwell


Report Abuse
Labor and Employment
Labor and employment attorneys can help both employers and workers prevent, address and resolve a variety of issues related to the employer-employee relationship. Small business owners and managers should consult with employment lawyers when crafting employment policies (including those related to hiring, affirmative action, compensation, medical leave and sexual harassment); negotiating employment contracts, non-compete agreements and severance agreements; and resolving employment-related personnel disputes. Workers should talk to a labor and employment law firm before signing any job-related contracts and for help addressing issues related to discrimination, harassment, Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) accommodations and Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) requests.
Have an Labor and Employment Question?
It’s Free & Easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Top Contributing Lawyers
Mark Tischhauser, Esq.

Attorney - Florida

306 Answers, 21 Legal Topics

Michael D. Siegel

Attorney - New York

193 Answers, 26 Legal Topics

Patrick Johnson

Attorney - Tennessee

191 Answers, 39 Legal Topics

Diana L. Anderson

Attorney - New Jersey

97 Answers, 26 Legal Topics

Wendy Rebecca Barlow

Attorney - New York

78 Answers, 1 Legal Topics

Michael E. Fiffik

Attorney - Pennsylvania

77 Answers, 16 Legal Topics

David B. Karp

Attorney - Wisconsin

75 Answers, 13 Legal Topics

Labor and Employment Local Law Firms  
In United States change location
Please select state Update
Do It Yourself Legal Forms

Popular Forums