> Discuss Your Legal Issue > Ask a Lawyer > Labor and Employment > Can I take legal action against my former union for not properly representing me?

Can I take legal action against my former union for not properly representing me?

1 Answers. Asked on Jun 21st, 2017 on Labor and Employment - New Jersey
More details to this question:
I was terminated from my job May 2016, because a co-worker simply accused me of putting hands on him. The union who were supposedly fighting to get my job back, told me about around the end of May 2017 that they made a mistake by missing a step. So my former employer got off on a technicality.
Answers Showing 1 out of 1
Answered on Jun 23rd, 2017 at 7:58 AM

I would make a clear and specific written record with the union. If the record is clear that the union made a mistake, and you have witnesses who can prove your case, you have to decide how much you want to spend suing the union. These cases are diffcult to prove and expensive to litigate. 

Report Abuse
Labor and Employment
Labor and employment attorneys can help both employers and workers prevent, address and resolve a variety of issues related to the employer-employee relationship. Small business owners and managers should consult with employment lawyers when crafting employment policies (including those related to hiring, affirmative action, compensation, medical leave and sexual harassment); negotiating employment contracts, non-compete agreements and severance agreements; and resolving employment-related personnel disputes. Workers should talk to a labor and employment law firm before signing any job-related contracts and for help addressing issues related to discrimination, harassment, Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) accommodations and Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) requests.
Have an Labor and Employment Question?
It’s Free & Easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Top Contributing Lawyers
Mark Tischhauser, Esq.

Attorney - Florida

323 Answers, 20 Legal Topics

Patrick Johnson

Attorney - Tennessee

240 Answers, 45 Legal Topics

Michael D. Siegel

Attorney - New York

161 Answers, 24 Legal Topics

Michael E. Fiffik

Attorney - Pennsylvania

107 Answers, 19 Legal Topics

Lori Nevias

Attorney - New York

83 Answers, 37 Legal Topics

Edward J. Dimon

Attorney - New Jersey

80 Answers, 19 Legal Topics

Anthony John Van Zwaren, Esq.

Attorney - New Jersey

76 Answers, 17 Legal Topics

Labor and Employment Local Law Firms  
In United States change location
Please select state Update
Do It Yourself Legal Forms

Popular Forums