> Discuss Your Legal Issue > Ask a Lawyer > Labor and Employment > Can I sue my current employer for refusing to pay me the hourly wage I was promised?

Can I sue my current employer for refusing to pay me the hourly wage I was promised?

1 Answers. Asked on Jul 17th, 2017 on Labor and Employment - Tennessee
More details to this question:
I was working part time for some extra money and was offered a salary match to come work there full time. They also stated that they were working on a health insurance package. I turned in notice to my other job and just before I was to start full time but after my other position was filled I was told they would not honor the $12/hr. I never even got the 9/hr I was quoted for part time. I'm beyond stressed out over this as. I am financially destroyed and have no idea how I am suppose to pay my mortgage and eat only making $8.10/hr. This just cannot be right. I'm stuck with a worthless job until I can find something else. I didn't ask for the full time position it was offered to me.
Answers Showing 1 out of 1
Answered on Jul 18th, 2017 at 7:40 AM

There is no wage law in Tennessee that addresses this situation. However, there may be a very good claim for detrimental reliance/promissory estoppel.  Consult with an experienced employment attorney as soon as possible.

I am an experienced attorney focusing on employment law in North Carolina and Tennessee. This post/response is not meant to constitute legal advice.

Report Abuse
Labor and Employment
Labor and employment attorneys can help both employers and workers prevent, address and resolve a variety of issues related to the employer-employee relationship. Small business owners and managers should consult with employment lawyers when crafting employment policies (including those related to hiring, affirmative action, compensation, medical leave and sexual harassment); negotiating employment contracts, non-compete agreements and severance agreements; and resolving employment-related personnel disputes. Workers should talk to a labor and employment law firm before signing any job-related contracts and for help addressing issues related to discrimination, harassment, Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) accommodations and Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) requests.
Have an Labor and Employment Question?
It’s Free & Easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Top Contributing Lawyers
Mark Tischhauser, Esq.

Attorney - Florida

357 Answers, 20 Legal Topics

Patrick Johnson

Attorney - Tennessee

241 Answers, 47 Legal Topics

Michael D. Siegel

Attorney - New York

179 Answers, 25 Legal Topics

Anthony John Van Zwaren, Esq.

Attorney - New Jersey

114 Answers, 18 Legal Topics

Michael E. Fiffik

Attorney - Pennsylvania

81 Answers, 17 Legal Topics

Lori Nevias

Attorney - New York

79 Answers, 31 Legal Topics

Bruce Robins

Attorney - New York

70 Answers, 8 Legal Topics

Have a legal question?
Get answers from local attorneys.
It's free and easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Do It Yourself Legal Forms

Popular Forums