> Discuss Your Legal Issue > Ask a Lawyer > Labor and Employment > Can I negotiate retirement instead

Can I negotiate retirement instead

1 Answers. Asked on May 04th, 2017 on Labor and Employment - North Carolina
More details to this question:
After 8 months of stress with a new boss, I made a mistake, it was caught, and I'm being fired. The bad decision was caused by a stress filled toxic work environment. I'm 66 and can retire. Can a lawyer negotiate that for me? There are no medical or retirement benefits involved.
Answers Showing 1 out of 1
Answered on May 06th, 2017 at 8:20 AM

Whether a lawyer can help you will depend on several different facts so you will want to consult with an attorney directly.  However, if they are ready to terminate you, then there is little reason for them to offer you retirement benefits especially if there are none involved.  The question I have for you is: do you really mean, "Can a lawyer negotiate with the employer to get my termination changed to retirement in the company's paperwork?"  If so, then perhaps.  Set a consultation with an attorney to discuss.

I am an experienced attorney focusing on employment law in North Carolina and Tennessee. This post/response is not meant to constitute legal advice.

Report Abuse
Labor and Employment
Labor and employment attorneys can help both employers and workers prevent, address and resolve a variety of issues related to the employer-employee relationship. Small business owners and managers should consult with employment lawyers when crafting employment policies (including those related to hiring, affirmative action, compensation, medical leave and sexual harassment); negotiating employment contracts, non-compete agreements and severance agreements; and resolving employment-related personnel disputes. Workers should talk to a labor and employment law firm before signing any job-related contracts and for help addressing issues related to discrimination, harassment, Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) accommodations and Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) requests.
Have an Labor and Employment Question?
It’s Free & Easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Top Contributing Lawyers
Mark Tischhauser, Esq.

Attorney - Florida

332 Answers, 19 Legal Topics

Patrick Johnson

Attorney - Tennessee

243 Answers, 44 Legal Topics

Michael D. Siegel

Attorney - New York

167 Answers, 27 Legal Topics

Michael E. Fiffik

Attorney - Pennsylvania

134 Answers, 22 Legal Topics

Lori Nevias

Attorney - New York

119 Answers, 32 Legal Topics

Ms. Maryellen Sullivan, Esq.

Attorney - Maine

102 Answers, 4 Legal Topics

R. Sam Price

Attorney - California

94 Answers, 14 Legal Topics

Labor and Employment Local Law Firms  
In United States change location
Please select state Update
Do It Yourself Legal Forms

Popular Forums