> Discuss Your Legal Issue > Ask a Lawyer > Labor and Employment > can I be fired for refusing to work overtime?

can I be fired for refusing to work overtime?

1 Answers. Asked on Nov 17th, 2013 on Labor and Employment - Nevada
More details to this question:
I work 4 12 hr days. can I be fired for refusing to work more.
Answers Showing 1 out of 1
Answered on Nov 18th, 2013 at 12:58 PM

The answer is generally yes, so long as you are compensated for the overtime.  There are limited restrictions such as the requirements of number of hours for child labor.  In collectively bargained agreements and certain employment contracts, there can be bargained-for limits on overtime. 

Report Abuse
Labor and Employment
Labor and employment attorneys can help both employers and workers prevent, address and resolve a variety of issues related to the employer-employee relationship. Small business owners and managers should consult with employment lawyers when crafting employment policies (including those related to hiring, affirmative action, compensation, medical leave and sexual harassment); negotiating employment contracts, non-compete agreements and severance agreements; and resolving employment-related personnel disputes. Workers should talk to a labor and employment law firm before signing any job-related contracts and for help addressing issues related to discrimination, harassment, Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) accommodations and Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) requests.
Have an Labor and Employment Question?
It’s Free & Easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Top Contributing Lawyers
Wendy Rebecca Barlow

Attorney - New York

178 Answers, 1 Legal Topics

Michael D. Siegel

Attorney - New York

142 Answers, 28 Legal Topics

Mark Tischhauser, Esq.

Attorney - Florida

128 Answers, 19 Legal Topics

Diana L. Anderson

Attorney - New Jersey

89 Answers, 24 Legal Topics

Patrick Johnson

Attorney - Tennessee

83 Answers, 29 Legal Topics

Alan Lee, Esq.

Attorney - New York

48 Answers, 1 Legal Topics

Bruce Robins

Attorney - New York

46 Answers, 7 Legal Topics

Labor and Employment Local Law Firms  
In United States change location
Please select state Update
Do It Yourself Legal Forms

Popular Forums